10:00 AM – 5:30 PM
Pearl Room, 9th Floor
Learning from the Past, Building for the Future
Hosted by New England Conservatory
Coordinated by Merry Peckham, Chair of Chamber Music
In celebration of its 150th Anniversary, New England Conservatory will present a full day of learning and sharing focused on small ensembles, audience engagement, and entrepreneurship.
Part 1: Innovating Tradition
- 10:00 AM – The Value of Chamber Music in Education
Chamber Music has long been part of conservatory / music school education, but has its value been fully realized? How might we reimagine a bigger impact in the future, fostering skills that can be applied broadly?
- Tom Novak
- 10:30 AM – Music Entrepreneurship
Starting and managing a career in chamber music takes creativity, grit, and the mindset of an entrepreneur. A diverse group of chamber musicians will share their first-hand experiences of ensemble start-ups and the valuable lessons they’ve learned along the way. Audience discussion will follow.
- Moderator: Rachel Roberts
- Panelists: Alix Raspe, Kee-Hyun Kim, Megumi Stohs-Lewis
- 11:30 AM – Chamber Musicians as Artist-Citizens: Musical Leadership in Civic Engagement
How are chamber musicians engaging with the question of what it means to be a musician in society? Hear about successful initiatives designed to embed chamber music into community life. Q&A session will follow.
- Moderator: Tanya Maggi
- Panelists: Eddie Kass (Music for Food), Amanda Ekery, Heath Marlow
12:30-1:30 PM Lunch on your Own
Part 2: Imagining and Designing the Future
- 1:30 PM – Chamber Music Expo
This session is created to give YOU the chance to hear feedback on your chamber ensemble ideas! Come prepared with a short musical excerpt (live or video recorded) and a 4-minute pitch of your idea, project, or question. Members of NEC’s presentation team will workshop ideas and strategies that will lead your work to its next steps.
NOTE: If you are interested in participating and presenting in this session, please coordinate with Rachel Roberts ASAP via firstname.lastname@example.org. Walk-up participants are welcomed but unfortunately cannot be guaranteed a presenting slot for this session.
- Moderator: Rachel Roberts
- 3:15 PM – In the Box, Out of the Box, Beyond the Box
How are today’s musicians expanding the boundaries of the art form? How are today’s musicians responding to an evolving landscape of opportunities? Come prepared to share thoughts and ideas.
- Moderator: Heath Marlow
- Panelists: Hankus Netsky, Megumi Stohs-Lewis, Eddie Kass, Nick Kitchen
- 4:30 PM – Chamber Music Mentorship: What to learn from the past, what to strive for in the future
Faculty artists reflect on their own experiences and share their counsel to emerging ensembles, bringing together elements of the topics discussed throughout the day. Q&A session will follow.
- Moderator: Tom Novak
- Panelists: Hankus Netsky, Nick Kitchen, Jazz TBA
- 5:30 PM – Adjourn